Start BackupServiceHome3Run as a real Service

Support zu Backup Service Home 3.
Antworten
Metazargo

Start BackupServiceHome3Run as a real Service

Beitrag von Metazargo »

Hello

BSH 3 starts with a user run 'BackupServiceHome3Run', this means no backup is started before the (a) user logs in. Would it work if I move 'BackupServiceHome3Run' to 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run'?

After an automatic startup it's required that also BSH start it's job without any user login in. How would I laod the correct configuration? Suggestions, caveats?

Thanks... uuups, auf Englisch

Alex
Support
Support

Re:Start BackupServiceHome3Run as a real Service

Beitrag von Alex »

Sorry, but BSH only works if a user is logged in. If you change the registry entry, this only means that BSH starts on every user that logs in. Windows only allows services to run before logon.

Maybe there is an other opportunity to run BSH as a service - I know there are applications that allows you to run normal applications as services - but I have no experience in that. In order to load the correct database you could use the
-database databasefile
parameter.

It is planned to run BSH as a service in a future version.
Zuletzt geändert von Alex am Mi 16. Jun 2010, 18:46, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Alexander Seeliger
{Support}

Metazargo

Re: Start BackupServiceHome3Run as a real Service

Beitrag von Metazargo »

I've added this command to a startup task of Windows 7 (assume any) scheduler.

Script:

Code: Alles auswählen

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Alexosoft\Backup Service Home 3\Alexosoft.BackupService.MainApp.exe*
Argument:

Code: Alles auswählen

-database "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Alexosoft\Backup Service Home 3\"backupservicehome.bshdb"
It works fine since a few month.

It will not launch the configuration application. This is only lunched with the logon.

The only strange thing is when you logon, you get two processes  'Alexosoft.BackupService.MainApp.exe *32'. If you logon when the backup is not active anymore you just can kill the older process started by the scheduler. But also keep both running didn't harmed the backup.

Improvement: How can the configuration application be launched without restarting 'Alexosoft.BackupService.MainApp.exe *32'?
Zuletzt geändert von Metazargo am Di 19. Okt 2010, 00:44, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Alex
Support
Support

Beitrag von Alex »

I can understand your problem. When the software is running you can not access any action of the program, because you don't see the tray icon.
But also keep both running didn't harmed the backup.
This could work well, but I don't recommend this. The problem is that at one time only one process can access the database. Probably the first process (launched before logon) got an error you don't see so it stops the process.
Improvement: How can the configuration application be launched without restarting 'Alexosoft.BackupService.MainApp.exe *32'?
I think this is a problem of user account management of windows. Do you use two different user accounts for this propose - naming you start BSH before logon with admin and you login as user? or are this the same accounts?
If you use the same account, maybe there is a solution for this by only refreshing the tray icon (I have to look if this could be improved).
Alexander Seeliger
{Support}

Metazargo

Beitrag von Metazargo »

[quote="Alex"]Do you use two different user accounts for this propose - naming you start BSH before logon with admin and you login as user? or are this the same accounts? If you use the same account, maybe there is a solution for this by only refreshing the tray icon (I have to look if this could be improved).
[/quote]

I use the same, Admin, account to start the task and the logon.

Thanks for any investigation :-) in my case not so urgent, see 'Serverside Backup, another Use Case' viewtopic.php?t=8
Zuletzt geändert von Metazargo am Di 19. Okt 2010, 20:19, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Alex
Support
Support

Beitrag von Alex »

I'll search for a solution and reply if I found one. ;)
Alexander Seeliger
{Support}

Antworten